I absolutely devoured this chickpea salad sandwich for 4 days straight! There is something about a sandwich that is just so satisfying. As a child, I feel like I ate a turkey sandwich every day for lunch. If it weren’t that, my mom would go to the deli and buy premade egg or chicken salad. It’s so funny looking back on the way I used to eat compared to how I choose to eat now. I think as a society, more people are turned off by processed meats as we learn how beneficial a plant based diet is for our health. Gosh, I can’t even remember the last time I ate processed deli meat on white bread.
This chickpea salad sandwich is not only healthy but it’s easy to make and MEAL PREP. I’m confident this is a recipe your whole family can enjoy!
Ingredients & Directions for Chickpea Salad Sandwich
This is a high protein meal, especially for those who are trying to eat plant based meals. If you want to learn more about sources of protein in a plant based diet, check out this article here. Here are the necessary ingredients
- Whole Wheat + Flax & Oat Bran Pitas – 6 grams of protein
- 2 cans of chickpeas – 49 grams of protein
- 2 hard boiled eggs – 14 grams of protein
- Mayo – I used avocado mayo (my favorite brand if avonaise)
- 2-3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- Seasoning: salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, freshly squeezed lemon juice
In total, there is 69 grams of protein. This recipe will make 4-6 servings therefore you’ll get anywhere from 10-18 grams of protein depending on your prefered serving size.
Once you have all the ingredients, here’s what you’ll do:
- Drain & rinse 2 cans of chickpeas and smash them with a potato smasher. The skin of the chickpea will naturally come off during the smashing process. You can take them off if you wish but note that the skin of the chickpea has a lot of healthy fiber!
- In a large bowl you’ll combine the smashed chickpeas with the rest of the ingredients listed above.
- Store in airtight containers for up to 5 days.
This recipe is such a good one to meal prep! When you’re ready to eat, conveniently scoop out the desired serving size and scoop into a pita! I also added an avocado on the side for some extra healthy fats.
I hope you enjoy this meal as much as I did! If so, please leave a comment down below or tag @ahealthyprofit in your photo on instagram!