If you’re looking for a plant based healthy snack look no further. Hummus is part of the Mediterranean diet but has become increasingly popular in the Western culture.
Hummus is made with just a few key ingredients all of which provide tremendous health benefits.
- Chickpeas: I love this legume because they are high in protein. Additionally, chickpeas are a slow carb meaning it will not spike your blood sugar.
- Tahini: This is made from sesame seeds which have been found to reduce inflammation. Like chickpeas, tahini is high in protein. When they are combined in this dish, there is a ton of plant based protein to be eaten!
- Lemon Juice: Lemons contain a rich amount of vitamin C which is a powerful nutrient and antioxidant.
- Olive Oil: EVOO is a heart healthy fat which may reduce LDL cholesterol levels.
- 1, 15.5 oz. can of cooked chickpeas, drained
- 1/4 cup tahini
- Juice from one lemon and 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3 TBSP EVOO
- 1 large roasted red pepper
- 1 TBSP mined garlic
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Combine all the ingredients to a food processor and run until smooth
- Scrape down the edges and process one final time adding in 1 TBSP of water at a time until desired consistency is met
- Top with additional olive oil, red peppers, olives, paprika or parsley to garnish
Hummus will last in the fridge for 5-7 days.
What to pair with hummus
The possibilities are endless really but here are some of my favorites:
- with fresh veggies such as carrots or cucumbers
- on pita chips or multigrain crackers
- substitute salad dressing on a garden salad by adding an extra TBSP or so of either water or EVOO
- layer on a pita wrap with more roasted red peppers, turkey, and veggies for a high protein lunch
- as a condiment on your burger. Check out my turkey zucchini burger recipe here
Check out this recipe!
If you scoped out my other recipes, you probably saw that I recently made a hummus vegetable wrap. This lunch was so fulfilling and unlike some meal prep options, I did not get tired of this dish. I layered on a heaping amount of hummus as the base of this wrap and filled it with my famous homemade vegetable marinade. I topped the wrap with an avocado dressing from Trader Joe’s but you could certainly make your own or just cut up an avocado instead!
For the full recipe, click here
Leave me a comment below!
Did you make this hummus and love it as much as I do? Comment below and let me know. Better yet, send me a photo and tag @ahealthyprofit to be featured on social media! Happy snacking!