Okay, let’s just start by saying Monique at Ambitious Kitchen, you are a goddess. We devoured these vegan blueberry pie bites so thank you for this recipe. This dessert tastes like the real deal; it would have anyone fooled.
It is almost my favorite season – blueberry picking season. Blueberries are hands down my favorite fruit and I absolutely love spending a warm Summer day out in blueberry fields. Why is it that I end up eating more blueberries than I pick? Anyone else or is it just me? Anyways, this recipe can be made with fresh or frozen blueberries. I used frozen blueberries because they are not quite in season yet. Fun fact though: frozen fruit is typically picked at the height of the season and are packaged when they are most fresh.
Make Your Own Oat Flour to Save $
Most of the ingredients needed for this recipe are things you would already have in your pantry minus maybe almond extract which you could totally leave out anyways. I will say though using the almond extract gave this bar a zing! You could also leave out the lemon zest but I like a little citrus personally. If you don’t have oat flour, it’s actually much more affordable to make your own anyways. To make 1 cup of oat flour, simply blend 1 1/4 cups of oats in either a blender or a food processor until they are finely ground.
- For the crust & crumble:
- 1 ½ cups gluten free oat flour
- 1 cup oats (I used gluten free quick oats)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons vegan, melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- For the filling:
- 2 1/2 heaping cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract
- Optional to make the with a hint of lemon flavor: zest from 1 lemon
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8x8 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray
- Make the crust by combining oat flour, oats, coconut sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix in the melted butter, vanilla and almond extract and stir with a fork until a crumbled texture forms
- Use 75% of that mixture and press flat onto the 8x8 baking pan to form the base of the bar
- Next, in a medium pot, on medium heat, add the blueberries, maple syrup, cornstarch to make thicker, almond extract, lemon zest, and salt
- Press the blueberries flat as you let this come to a boil
- Turn down to simmer for 5 minutes
- Layer this blueberry mixture on top of the crust
- Finally, use the remaining 25% of crumble mixture to sprinkle on top
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Allow bars to cool completely and place in fridge for about an hour prior to cutting and serving as bars are best enjoyed cool
These bars are delicious served at room temperature or straight out of the fridge. I recommend storing in the fridge for optimal freshness. If you are not vegan and would prefer to use regular flour and butter, feel free.
Are you as obsessed with these vegan blueberry bars as I am? I may or may not have had one with my breakfast this morning. I’m really enjoying this plant based lifestyle. It is not about eating greens for every single meal, it’s not about restriction, but it is about mindful eating and that is what matters to me. If you haven’t read my blog about plant based living you can find them here:
Do you or your family eat plant based? What are you favorite recipes? Drop me a comment below to let me know.